Energy News
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
China urges firms to follow laws after Bangkok building collapse
China urges firms to follow laws after Bangkok building collapse
by AFP Staff Writers
Bangkok (AFP) April 2, 2025

China's embassy in Bangkok called on Chinese companies operating abroad to comply with local laws after a Chinese construction firm came under scrutiny for a deadly building collapse in last week's earthquake.

The 30-storey skyscraper, set to house government offices, was the only major building to collapse in Bangkok when a 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck neighbouring Myanmar Friday, with tremors felt as far as the Thai capital.

Thai authorities say they are launching a probe into the construction firms responsible amid suspicions they used substandard steel rebar in the structure.

The development near Bangkok's popular Chatuchak market was a joint project involving China Railway No. 10 Engineering Group (Thailand) -- an offshoot of China Railway Group (CREC), one of the world's largest construction and engineering contractors.

AFP was unable to reach the Chinese company involved in the project for comment.

The Chinese embassy in Bangkok late Tuesday expressed "deepest condolences" for the collapse and urged firms to "strictly" comply with Thai laws.

"The Chinese government has consistently urged Chinese companies overseas to abide by local laws and contribute positively to the society," the embassy said in a Facebook post only in Thai.

Beijing has dispatched a team of rescue experts and disaster relief personnel to assist in Bangkok and vowed to "continue supporting Thailand as needed", it added.

It has also urged Chinese firms to cooperate "strictly" with Thai authorities as they investigate the collapse.

The local partner in the project, Italian-Thai Development (ITD), offered condolences on Monday to quake victims but said it was "confident" the incident would not impact its other projects.

The collapse was the deadliest single incident in Thailand from the earthquake, with the majority of the kingdom's 22 fatalities thought to be workers on the building site.

Chinese developer under scrutiny over Bangkok tower quake collapse
Bangkok (AFP) April 1, 2025 - A Chinese construction company is facing questions over the deadly collapse of a Bangkok skyscraper -- the only major building in the capital to fall in a catastrophic earthquake that has killed more than 2,000 people in Thailand and neighbouring Myanmar.

The 30-storey tower, still under construction, was to house government offices, but the shaking reduced the structure to a pile of rubble in seconds, killing at least 13 people and injuring nine.

It was the deadliest single incident in Thailand after Friday's 7.7-magnitude quake, with the majority of the kingdom's 20 fatalities thought to be workers on the building site and hopes fading for around 70 still trapped.

Sprawling Bangkok bristles with countless high-rise blocks, but none have reported major damage, prompting many to ask why the block under construction gave way.

"We have to investigate where the mistake happened," said Thai Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra, who has ordered a probe into the materials and safety standards at the construction site.

"What happened from the beginning since it was designed? How was this design approved? This was not the first building in the country," she told reporters on Saturday.

The development near Bangkok's popular Chatuchak market was a joint project involving China Railway No. 10 Engineering Group (Thailand) -- an offshoot of China Railway Group (CREC), one of the world's largest construction and engineering contractors.

- Questions raised -

Testing of steel rebars -- struts used to reinforce concrete -- from the site has found that some of the metal used was substandard, Thai safety officials said on Monday.

Industry Minister Akanat Promphan announced that a committee would be set up to investigate, saying one supplier of the steel had failed safety tests in December and may have its licence withdrawn. He did not name the supplier.

Professor of Civil Engineering at King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang Suchatwee Sunaswat said there were questions to be answered.

"We have to look at the design. At the beginning, how they calculate, how they design. And in the rescue mission, how they collect evidence at the same time," he told reporters on Saturday.

- Safety complaints -

The local partner in the project, Italian-Thai Development (ITD) offered condolences on Monday to quake victims but said it was "confident" the incident would not impact its other projects.

Beijing-owned building conglomerate CREC is one of the world's largest construction and engineering contractors, with projects in more than 90 countries and regions, according to its website.

The Bangkok construction collapse is not the first time CREC and its subsidiaries have come under fire after deadly incidents.

A tide of anger was unleashed at authorities in Serbia following the deaths of 14 people when a roof collapsed in November last year at a train station built by CREC subsidiaries -- largely focused on reports of alleged shortcuts made with building projects.

Roisai Wongsuban of the Migrant Working Group advocacy organisation said there have been a large number of complaints from migrant workers employed by Chinese companies in Thailand about lax safety standards and poor labour rights.

"For Chinese companies we can't see the human rights due diligence, to see if labour standards are being met," she told AFP.

"There is always a power imbalance between employer and employee."

Bangkok's construction boom is powered by an army of labourers, a large proportion of them migrant workers from Myanmar, toiling on hot building sites for low pay.

The Migrant Working Group has called on Thailand's labour ministry to hold the employers involved in the construction project criminally liable if they have failed to meet health and safety laws.

- China sensitivities -

AFP has asked China Rail No. 10 Engineering Thailand and CREC for comment but has not had a response.

An announcement celebrating the completion of the main structure at the Chatuchak construction site posed on China Rail No. 10's official WeChat channel was deleted soon after Friday's quake.

AFP archived the post shortly after the tremors hit but before the page was removed.

Local media said that four Chinese nationals were apprehended on Saturday for attempting to retrieve documents from the collapse site.

But China is the largest source of foreign direct investment in Thailand, injecting $2 billion into the kingdom in 2024, according to Open Development Thailand, and the government typically handles anything linked to Beijing with kid gloves.

Paetongtarn said an investigation into the collapse launched on Monday would not be "specific to one country".

"We do not want one particular country to think we are only keeping eyes on (it)," she said on Tuesday.

At a small shelter near the site on Monday, 45-year-old Naruemol Thonglek waited for news of her boyfriend, electrician Kyi Than, who was missing under the enormous mound of concrete and twisted metal being lifted by mechanical diggers.

"I'm devastated," she told AFP. "I've never seen anything like this in my entire life."

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
WHO says Myanmar quake a top-level emergency, seeks urgent funding
Geneva (AFP) Mar 30, 2025
The World Health Organization said Sunday the Myanmar earthquake was a top-level emergency as it urgently sought $8 million to save lives and prevent disease outbreaks over the next 30 days. The WHO said the high numbers of casualties and trauma injuries were at high risk of infection due to limited surgical capacity in the country, while the underlying conditions in Myanmar meant the quake was likely to intensify the risk of disease. "WHO has classified this crisis as a Grade 3 emergency - the ... read more

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Deutsche Bank asset manager DWS fined 25 mn euros for 'greenwashing'

EU emission target delay sparks worries of climate retreat

Sweden not doing enough to meet net-zero targets: study

Solar and Wind Dominate New Power Installations in January as Biden Era Concludes

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
A lifetime power source in miniature form

Smart home platform lowers energy costs and boosts grid resilience

Battery boom drives Bangladesh lead poisoning epidemic

Commercial fusion milestone sets stage for next-gen power

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Chinese energy giant Goldwind posts annual growth as overseas drive deepens

Clean energy giant Goldwind leads China's global sector push

Engineers' new design of offshore energy system clears key hurdle

Student refines 100-year-old math problem, expanding wind energy possibilities

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Optical advances offer boost to next-generation solar module designs

Study links solar surge to evening price hikes for fossil energy

Seven universities unite to propel solar projects over California canal system

Modi to kick off construction of India-Sri Lanka solar plant

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Study explores radiation-driven chromium chemistry in molten salt reactors

Framatome and TechnicAtome complete acquisition of valve manufacturer

Framatome to upgrade digital systems at Swiss Leibstadt nuclear facility

WPI researcher to explore efficient uranium extraction from industrial wastewater

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Turning wood waste into ultra strong material

Tunisian startup turns olive waste into clean energy

Airlines cast doubt on EU sustainable fuel targets

Eco friendly low-cost energy storage system from pine biomass

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Yemen's Huthis say one killed in fresh strikes blamed on US

China discovers major new oilfield off Shenzhen

Rubio warns Venezuela of force if it attacks oil-rich Guyana

Just Stop Oil activist group says to stop climate protest stunts

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Morocco 'water highway' averts crisis in big cities but doubts over sustainability

Dutch climate group says suing top bank ING

SEC ends US companies' need to release climate impact data

'We are not in crisis': chair of IPCC climate body to AFP

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.